25 feared killed in a major fire disaster at a kerosene distribution centre in Chhindwara
BHOPAL/CHHINDWARA: Major disaster struck Chhindwara district of MP as at least 25 persons were charred to death in a fire at a cooperative society distribution outlet in Bargi village.
At least three dozen persons had lined up inside the cooperative outlet to collect Kerosene and food grains when the fire started and trapped them.
Though the official figure was put at 14, sources said that at least 25 persons were killed and 21 bodies had already been brought out by evening.
The state government has announced compensation of Rs four lakh each for the kin of the deceased. The village Bargi falls under Harrai of Chhindwara.
The villagers were trapped as the society store was quite small with only one entrance/exit. The walls of the room had to be broken to take the bodies/injured people out. (Symbolic file photograph)